Kale Super Salad
• 5 shallots
• 1 1/2 cups chopped dried cranberries
• 1 whole lemon, juice and zested
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 12 cups kale, chopped
• 24 Bussels sprouts, thinly sliced/shredded
• 1 1/2 cups bacon bites, I used fresh bacon, cook and roughly chopped
• 3 small heads of broccoli, finely chopped
• 1 pomegranate, you will want just to use all of the seeds inside
• 1 cup pistachios
• 3 apples, I used Honey crisp, chopped
Over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan. Add finely sliced shallots and cook for at least 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minute. Then add chopped cranberries, red wine vinegar, honey, remaining tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice and zest, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, set aside until you are ready to combine salad.
In a large salad bowl add kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, pomegranate seeds, apples, pistachios and bacon. Toss to combine. Add dressing and goat cheese if desired and toss to combine.
Serve immediately or set in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This Winter Kale Super Salad can be make 2-3 hours in advance, I love the dressing “marinating” the kale and everything else.